Pinguecula and Pterygium
A pinguecula consists of an abnormal degeneration of the collagen fibers in the conjunctival stroma.
- They present in a variety of forms
- Characterized by a nodular shape
- May enlarge slowly over time
- Most lesions are benign and do not require treatment
- Normal pinguecula can become inflammed
A pterygium is a fibrovascular degeneration of the conjunctiva.
- Characterized by wedge shape
- Chronic ocular discomfort is possible
- Associated with dry eye syndrome
- Associated with ultraviolet light exposure